February 26, 2009

Bring the rain

It has been a whirlwind of a week. A lot has come and gone, and clouds have rolled in and out. I'm hoping you sense the symbolism. On the way to work today, with so much weighing on me and so many thoughts racing around in my mind like circus clowns on tricycles, I heard the song "rain" by Mercy Me. I heard it live in concert when I last saw them a few months ago, but it wasn't until my situation meshed with the message of the lyrics that it's true meaning hit me. The chorus goes something to the effect of:

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray


The portion about "if that's what it takes to praise You, Jesus bring the rain..." struck me!

It has been weeks since JP and I have been able to sit and read the word together. We usually simply have time for a quick couples devotion before bed. It wasn't until all the chaos was stirred up into a thick cloud, that we were able to spend time in the word together. And within that, found strength amidst the rain.

Thank you Jesus for the rain...for the reminder that we cannot do anything without you...for a reminder to turn to the chief of all nature and creation to either cease or guide us through the torrential downpours we meet in life.

1 comment:

Joan said...

You way with words is inspiring. Thank you. I am always amazed how we want God to so many things for us--now. We have no patience to wait and should there be a trial, well He must not be paying attention. I love your heart "Yes Lord bring the rain!" Rain cleanses and refreshes and it causes growth. Why would we not want it. We often get so caught up in what we want or need that we forget it's not about us anyway and the "sufferings" that we endure are nothing compared to his. Psalm 40 says they that wait upon the Lord will be renewed. May we wait on Him, focus our hearts on Him so that our minds, our hearts and our spirits can be renewed in Him
You are a blessing!