April 20, 2008

Sit Back and Enjoy the Ride

These next few weeks are sure to be nothing short of the most daring roller coaster I've ever ridden on. I have been fearful of roller coasters since I was a child. When all of my friends would get in line for the newest and fastest ride, I would cheer them on from ground-level and listen to their screams of excitement as they did loop-de-loops. It wasn't until a few years ago that I took my first roller coaster ride. JP held my hand and took me in line. Oddly enough, this roller coaster just happen to be the largest in the Six Flags park. As I begin the road towards graduation, I can't help but feel exactly what I felt while waiting at the top of the highest point of Raging Bull. The "I don't know that I can hold my lunch down," "should I throw my hands in the air or hold on," and "what will it feel like," emotions are running through my head constantly. I have waited so long for such a thrill and now that it is less than weeks away, I'm afraid to throw my hands up, to give it to God and trust that the metal bar holding me in my seat is strong enough......

In the end, when all is said and done and my cap and gown is hung back on its hanger, I know that I will be safe. That the ride has been taken my thousands and is checked for safety before each and every ride, but I wonder if when I look back I'll be able to say, "Let's do that again!"

For now, I hold on tight to the bar, knowing I waited so long in line, and as I near the point before the drop, trust that God has me in his hands. He would never let me get on a ride that he wasn't prepared to hold my hand through.

No comments: