May 9, 2008

I'm a Big Kid Now...

My late Auntie J always had dolls of various shapes, colors, and sizes, set as part of the family rather than decoration, around her apartment. I remember telling her once as a small child, that "I will never be too old for dolls. I will always love dolls no matter how old I get. I'll have them in my house and on my bed, just like you!" I used to constantly sing these words to every child's theme song, "I don't wanna grow up 'cuz I'm a Toys 'R Us kid..." Now, as I watch the 3 year-olds in my classroom at work, waltz around dragging their "babies" behind them, one arm at a time, plastic bottle in tow, I am taken back to the days when I adored and admired the dozens of prized plastic children's toys that welcomed me in to every room of Auntie J's home. More than 15 years later I have to admit that porcelain figurines with artificial hair and sewn miniature clothing, do not adorn my bedroom. The truth is, that whether we like it or not, the world expects us to grow up. To this day however, the occasional life-like baby doll grabs my attention and brings a smile to my face.

Is there anything that you thought you would never get too old for?

No comments: