September 17, 2007

Little Rascals

Today I met my class for the first time! The class, that is, that I will be student teaching with. I have a reading practicum with them this fall. I was more nervous than a child on her first day of school. I made sure to pick out the best outfit, which I pressed and laid out the night before. Before I left for the school, Amber made sure I had a good breakfast, which consisted of a Trail Mix bar, and then I sprayed some "neck", as Parker would call it....and sped out of the dorms. I was in such a frenzy that as I turned the corner I realized I had forgotten something. No, not a backpack or lunch box, but my wallet. I figured I could survive without it. As I pulled into the parking lot of the brick building, my gas light turned on. I tried to ignore the "sign" and walked into Robberson, fiddling with the keys in my hand. I reached the classroom and found a chattering class on the carpet. I took in the first ten minutes and let my eyes wander around the room...almost as if memorizing what would be my new "home." The curious and unattentive children came straight towards me with hugs and questions. There was never a dull moment within the first twenty minutes. I had to line the children up and remind Austin it isn't okay to steal the teacher's things off her desk. He finally put the Domino's pizza coupons back. There still seems to be one missing. I quickly took my keys from Quentin's hand before he put them in his pocket. Not only do children always find some way to be sneaky, but they are lucky we teachers are made with an extra set of eyes in the back of our heads! When the time finally came for sharing about themselves one little boy proceeded to show me his wrists which had wiggly "x"s drawn on them in marker as blue as the sky. "I, I, I have something to share about myself, Miss Elton." Thrown off by the formal name I was being called, I had to keep myself attentive to Tyler's personal fact he was sharing. "These dots are where my Web Blasters are." I couldn't help but grin at the boy wearing a Superman shirt who had shared his secret superpower with me. All I could say is, "Wow! I've never seen that before. You must be really special." Although this class seemed constantly distracted by one another, I couldn't help but fall in love with each one...even the rebels who asked me why I wouldn't marry them instead of my fiance. They may be inattentive at times, but they always know how to make me smile. I was so distracted by the constant questions and remarks that time flew by and before I knew it, I was leaving the school to head back to Evangel. Children have a way of making me feel right at home. The comfort level can either mean that I adjust quickly, or that I am doing what I truly was purposed to do...teach. I think the latter is the better answer to my riddle. It'll be an interesting year!

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

doesn't that boy know that superman doesn't have a web..goodness kid! Get your super hero's straight!

sharonie said...

ummm that is the best part of teaching is you get to be a kid too. Today my class earned a compliment party and we got an extra recess and I played wonder ball with them adn swung on the swings....ahhh the joys of teaching!